Your twenties are arguably the biggest chunk of time in which you make (and learn from) a multitude of mistakes. From spiritual awakenings to loneliness to learning that hangovers do get worse with age, there are plenty of mistakes you’re allowed to make in your twenties. This time in our lives provide us with lessons that are exponentially larger and more significant than any other.
We all worry when things don’t go quite as we planned, no matter how big or small the consequence. However, life is a classroom and often having these little hiccups in life is the best way of progressing, growing and learning. These mistakes you make in your twenties can be quite significant life lessons, or at least give you something to look back on and laugh!
15 mistakes you’re allowed to make in your twenties
- Graduating in a subject you now have zero interest in
- Working a job you hate – no-one falls in love with their first job, it’s okay
- Dating someone just because you’re a little bit scared of being alone
- Spending money like you’re Richard Branson – you don’t have an island yet, but you’re working on it
- Thinking you can still drink as much as a teenager…
- … And survive the hangover the next day
- Achieving what you think you should be achieving, rather than what you actually want
- The break-up haircut/piercing/tattoo. Need I say more?
- Pretending to the world that you understand adult things when really you’re a child in disguise. Taxes? Mortgages? No idea…
- Thinking you can still eat like a teenager – RIP size 6 jeans, you’ll be sadly missed
- Drifting away from old friends – if it’s meant to be, you’ll find your way back to each other
- Feeling that everyone is better or more successful than you – actually, we’re all just muddling through together. Some people are just better at pretending
- Saying yes to everything for fear of missing out
- Refusing help from others when we really need it – I know you’re an adult now but you’re not superwoman
- Failing. We all do it. And it’s nothing to be ashamed of
Now, not all of these come from my personal experience, but I can guarantee if you’re in your twenties you can relate to at least some of this list. Whilst this post is just a bit of fun, our twenties can be such a confusing time with a lot of societal pressure. Please, if you ever need to talk, if adulting is ever getting too much, know that you can always pop me a message.
What mistakes have you learnt from in your twenties? Let me know in the comments!