15 Mistakes You’re Allowed To Make In Your Twenties

Your twenties are arguably the biggest chunk of time in which you make (and learn from) a multitude of mistakes. From spiritual awakenings to loneliness to learning that hangovers do get worse with age, there are plenty of mistakes you’re allowed to make in your twenties. This time in our lives provide us with lessons that are exponentially larger and more significant than any other.

2 boys and 2 girls in their twenties laughing

We all worry when things don’t go quite as we planned, no matter how big or small the consequence. However, life is a classroom and often having these little hiccups in life is the best way of progressing, growing and learning. These mistakes you make in your twenties can be quite significant life lessons, or at least give you something to look back on and laugh!

15 mistakes you’re allowed to make in your twenties

1. Graduating in a subject you now have zero interest in
  2. Working a job you hate – no-one falls in love with their first job, it’s okay
  3. Dating someone just because you’re a little bit scared of being alone
  4. Spending money like you’re Richard Branson – you don’t have an island yet, but you’re working on it
  5. Thinking you can still drink as much as a teenager…
  6. … And survive the hangover the next day
  7. Achieving what you think you should be achieving, rather than what you actually want
  8. The break-up haircut/piercing/tattoo. Need I say more?
  9. Pretending to the world that you understand adult things when really you’re a child in disguise. Taxes? Mortgages? No idea…
  10. Thinking you can still eat like a teenager – RIP size 6 jeans, you’ll be sadly missed
  11. Drifting away from old friends – if it’s meant to be, you’ll find your way back to each other
  12. Feeling that everyone is better or more successful than you – actually, we’re all just muddling through together. Some people are just better at pretending
  13. Saying yes to everything for fear of missing out
  14. Refusing help from others when we really need it – I know you’re an adult now but you’re not superwoman
  15. Failing. We all do it. And it’s nothing to be ashamed of

Now, not all of these come from my personal experience, but I can guarantee if you’re in your twenties you can relate to at least some of this list. Whilst this post is just a bit of fun, our twenties can be such a confusing time with a lot of societal pressure. Please, if you ever need to talk, if adulting is ever getting too much, know that you can always pop me a message.

What mistakes have you learnt from in your twenties? Let me know in the comments!

Get the Latest

Comments

1. Alex says

This is such a refreshing thing to see Abigail, thank you so much for sharing. This world is much about success and being a girl boss who hustles 24/7 it’s nice to see that we’re allowed to make mistakes and can move on from them. Thank you for showing people they don’t have to be at a 10 all of the time and they can just live their lives.
    Alex xx

2. Bryony Baker says

I’m guilty to a few of these, especially achieving what people think I should be rather than what I want. I’ve spent that last year telling my work I’m going to go on course x y and z to realise that’s not the exact path I want to take and that’s okay. Thanks for sharing x

3. Tajinder Kaur says

Such a refreshing post, a breath of fresh air. There’s so much societal pressure to have everything figured out by a certain age and to hustle 24/7 when in actuality, we’re still trying to figure it all out. I’ve learned that there’s a positive side in every situation, it all depends on your mindset.

Tx. // Tajinder Kaur

4. Beka says

These are all so on point, I’ve definitely made most of these mistakes – especially drifting away from old friends, I have a habit of still doing that sadly. And I still go through the mental breakdown mega-haircut every so often (my last one was in December) 😅

Beka | http://www.bekadaisies.com

5. Amy says

I love this list and I instantly related to number 1 and 2 – basically my life from 2013 to now 😂 So many of these points ring true for me to be honest – particularly the ones about growing apart from friends and feeling like everyone is more successful. I’m also 27 and still don’t fully understand mortgages and taxes!

6. Elin says

This was such a fun post to read. I’ve definitely made some of these mistakes, especially trying to achieve something that I think I should be instead of following my own path and doing what I enjoy. Sometimes I feel like we just need that someone to tell us that it’s ok to make mistakes, we’re all in the same boat at the end of the day!x

7. Jenny in Neverland says

Great post! Although for me, a lot of these were mistakes I made in my teens. My twenties started with my house-bound from anxiety, scared to go out, scared to do anything – so I definitely haven’t had a typical “twenties”. But I feel like my teens made up for it! I’ve still got so many of these lessons to learn now, at 27!

8. Kate says

I absolutely love this post and have managed to tick off every mistake on your list. aged 27 my 20s has been rocky, but I’ve learnt so much. I’m interested / anxious to see what my late 20s have in store whilst I try not to overthink what life in my 30s might feel like.

Kate | thelittlecrunch.co.uk

9. Sophie Harriet says

I can definitely relate to too many of these haha! Thank you for this post, it helps me realise I’m not alone in making these mistakes! I suppose it’s better to think of them as learning experiences!