The Hormone Diaries Part Five: My First Smear Test

I have finally hit that age that many women in the UK dread, where I was called up for my first smear test. Many women can be really anxious before their cervical screening, as it can be seen as an invasive and painful procedure that you always hear horror stories about.

Well, today I’m here to be totally honest and open with you about my first smear test experience, and hopefully give you a little bit more information about why cervical screenings are so vitally important.

Photo taken from above showing ope laptop with pink and white website open, with a stethescope to the left. Text overlay says The Hormone Diaries Part 5: My First Smear Test

Why do we have smear tests?

In the UK, women or people with a cervix are invited to have a smear test from the age of 25.  Smear tests, or cervical screenings as they are now known, check the overall health of your cervix. Predominantly, the cells of your cervix are checked for any abnormal changes that can then be monitored or treated so they do not progress into cervical cancer.

The C word can sound very daunting and frightening, especially if your test comes back saying abnormal cells have been found. This does not mean you have cancer. Finding abnormal cells in your smear test means they can be treated and prevent cancer from forming, which is why it is so important that you book your cervical screening as promptly as you can after receiving your letter.

What happens in a smear test?

A smear test is quite similar to any other gynaecological exam I’ve had. The nurse will ask you to undress from the waist down and pop yourself on the bed with a bit of towel covering some of your remaining dignity. I do always find it a bit odd that you are asked to cover up when they are about to see your full frontal lady bits but never mind! The nurse will then come in and explain a bit about how the test works.

The first step they will ask you to do is bring your feet up to your bum and relax your knees out to the side. This helps to relax everything down below and gives them the best chance of finding your cervix without too much discomfort. The nurse will then insert something called the speculum. It looks a bit scary but all this does is open everything up and allow for the nurse to insert the swab. This is the next step and the uncomfortable bit that no doubt you have heard terrible things about. To collect the cells, they have to essentially scrape your cervix with a swab. The best way I can think to describe the feeling of this is an internal scratch – it’s not painful but it feels strange and a bit uncomfortable. I can promise you it is nowhere near as bad as it has been made out to be! If it is any comparison, for me it was a lot better and less uncomfortable than having my coil fitted.

I would honestly tell you if I was in any sort of pain as the whole point of The Hormone Diaries is to be open and honest about unspoken topics, but I genuinely wasn’t! I feel like everyone has hyped up smear tests to be this awful scary procedure and whilst it’s a bit awkward getting your foof out for a stranger, it’s so worth it for what it can prevent.

Image result for cervical screening infographic uk

What happens when I get my smear test results?

Your results will be sent to you by letter a few weeks after your test. Your next steps will vary depending on what your test finds.

If your smear test comes back showing abnormal cells, you may be called back for another test to double check the results. You may also be asked to attend another test called a colposcopy. This is when a small microscope with a light on is used to look at your cervix and a special liquid is applied inside to highlight any abnormal cells.

Your test results might also show HPV. HPV stands for human papilloma virus, which is a common virus that most people are affected by at some point. Usually, the body’s immune system gets rid of it and the virus does not cause damage and no symptoms are experienced. But if your test shows HPV, there is a chance the abnormal cells will not improve naturally.

Most people who have an abnormal test result will not develop cervical cancer. Screening finds the small number of people who need treatment to prevent cancer.

I hope this post has helped to remove any initial anxieties or worries you may have had over having a smear test, and maybe even answered some of your questions! If there is anything else you would like to know about my experience or the test itself, please do not hesitate to ask away in the comments or pop me a message on any of my social channels and I’ll be happy to chat to you about it!

1. 19/05/2019 / 2:05 pm

I’m so glad people are sharing their stories about smear tests and encouraging others to get theirs done!

It’s almost time for mine so I’ll be getting it done as soon as I can and spreading the word too! 😊

Thanks for sharing!

Love Lozza xo

2. 20/05/2019 / 9:09 pm

Yay awesome post about your smear! I had mine done earlier on this year (my second one). I find that the procedure itself is fine but I get some cramps about 30 minutes afterwards that bother me for the rest of the day – no worse than my period cramps tbh but my brain gets a little confused.

• 20/05/2019 / 10:59 pm

Yeah I can see why some people might get cramps. I’m quite lucky that I don’t really get period pains and if I do it’s in my back not my tummy so I didn’t experience this after my smear. Thanks for sharing!

3. 21/05/2019 / 8:21 pm

This was such an interesting post to read! I’m only 23 this year so I still have a few years to do but as soon as I get my letter I’ll be booking myself in. I didn’t know a lot of this before and I’m sure it’ll be nerve racking but still so important. Great post x

• 23/05/2019 / 1:16 pm

Yeah it’s something that I think a lot of women our age aren’t very educated about but it’s really important!

4. 22/05/2019 / 12:55 pm

Thank you SO much for sharing this!! People should be talking about it more and you’ve done an amazing job.

Naomi xo
    tralisty.com

5. 23/05/2019 / 5:42 pm

It’s good that you got it done. Love that you’re sharing your story.

6. 29/05/2019 / 5:59 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this, I think this is such an important thing to talk about. My experience was similar – it was uncomfortable but not painful. I was incredibly tense, and kept flinching when the nurse tried to put the speculum in, but we got there eventually and it was fine. I think it’s really good to have positive stories like yours out there, because although I understand that for some people it may be really painful, that’s not the case for the majority. Anyway. Fab post.

• 01/06/2019 / 5:14 pm

Yes of course everyone is different and our bodies react in different ways, but I think the more we share our experiences, the less scary it seems for sure.

7. 29/05/2019 / 9:23 pm

Thank you for sharing this! Hopefully lots of people find it helps them and they book to get theirs done- it’s so important

8. 29/05/2019 / 9:32 pm

It’s so good to have so many people openly talking about smear tests! I had to have one when I was 21 for other health reasons and I now know that when I get the letter through in just over 6 months, I won’t hesitate to book at all and I know it’s because I had to have one when I was younger! Liz xx

9. 30/05/2019 / 1:35 pm

Pre-screening is so important. Thank you for using your experience as an opportunity to inform other women on what to expect. These tests can be a little less scary when we know what to expect.

• 01/06/2019 / 5:13 pm

It really is, and hopefully the more we keep the conversation about smear tests going, the more people it will help!

10. 30/05/2019 / 3:52 pm

Please get all of your tests ladies! I am 48 and have been kicking breast cancers butt for 10 months if I would have not been so embarrassed about getting mammogram I wouldn’t be in this horrible situation. Trust me women in their 20s and 30s are getting breast cancer like crazy!!!! 1 in 8 women.

• 01/06/2019 / 5:12 pm

Thank you so much for the support and best of luck with your treatment! You sound like a proper fighter to me!